Berries And Stars
Submitted by Carrie Wendorf, Cash Management Specialist
My family really likes this dessert and it’s easy to make; but still impressive. This is a pretty dessert for the 4th of July holiday.
- 1 package (17.25) frozen puff pastry sheets, follow package directions for thawing
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime zest (I prefer lime)
- 1 can (14 oz) SWEETENED condensed milk
- ¼ cup lemon or lime juice
- 1 container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping (any flavor works) thawed and divided
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 pint blueberries
*Note: any combo of your favorite berries works in this dessert, blackberries or raspberries
- Preheat oven to 400. Roll out or pat out one sheet of puff pastry into a 13”x10” rectangle on a large cookie sheet. Repeat with second sheet of pastry but do on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut four 1” thick strips lengthwise from the 2nd sheet: save remaining dough to make the stars. Brush edges of pastry on the cookie sheet with water using a brush.
- Lay the strips of the pastry on the edges of the dough to make an outer rim. Trim any excess dough.
- Prick entire bottom of pastry with fork. Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown. (The center may puff up but will flatten out as it cools). Allow to cool before filling. Cut stars from remaining dough either free hand or with a star shaped cookie cutter. Various sizes look really nice.
- Sprinkle with the sugar and bake on a cookie sheet 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, zest lemon or lime. In a 2 qt. mixing bowl whisk together the CONDENSED milk, juice, and zest. Gently fold in 1 ½ cups whipped topping. Fill the cooled pastry shell with the filling, top with the prepared berries and pastry stars. Pipe remaining whipped crème on top or gentle dollops.